Site icon Las Vegas News — Breaking News, Local News & Headlines

Las Vegas Grand Prix Road Closures Cause Major Traffic and Detours

f1 las vegas traffic alerts

f1 las vegas traffic alerts

LAS VEGAS — Road closures and transit disruptions intensified across the Las Vegas Valley this week as preparations for the Formula 1 Heineken Las Vegas Grand Prix entered their final stretch, creating widespread delays for drivers, bus riders and Strip visitors.

The race, scheduled for this weekend, has turned the Strip into a maze of barricades, fencing and redirected traffic as crews finalize the temporary street circuit. The most significant impacts began Nov. 17 and are expected to continue through Nov. 23, with some closures extending to Nov. 24.

One of the most disruptive shutdowns remains the full 24-hour closure of Koval Lane from Rochelle Avenue to Harmon Avenue, a major north–south connector commonly used as a back route around the Strip. Officials said the closure will remain in place until Nov. 24 as track walls, bridges and safety systems are dismantled after race weekend.

Public transit has also taken a hit. The Bellagio bus stop is temporarily closed, and multiple Regional Transportation Commission routes — including 119, 202, 203, the CX, and the Deuce — are undergoing detours due to circuit construction and heavy pedestrian traffic.

RTC officials advised riders to expect longer-than-normal travel times, reduced frequency at certain stops and additional congestion on parallel detour routes.

Despite the gridlock, thousands of fans from around the world have already crowded into the city to take part in festivities surrounding the Grand Prix. Tourism officials estimate another surge of spectators will arrive as race day approaches.

Visitors exploring the Strip this week encountered periods of light rain, overcast skies and chilly temperatures, though tourists continued to gather along pedestrian bridges and fencing to get glimpses of the pit lane, team garages and high-speed practice runs.

Local drivers, meanwhile, expressed frustration with the extended traffic restrictions after months of construction and repeated closures leading up to the event. Some residents said they avoided the Strip entirely, while others reported significant delays navigating major intersections and hotel driveways affected by circuit fencing.

Clark County officials maintain that the closures are necessary to ensure safety for racers, spectators and construction crews. Authorities said they expect normal traffic patterns to resume gradually after Nov. 24 as barriers are removed and street surfaces are restored.

The Las Vegas Grand Prix marks the second consecutive year Formula 1 has hosted a night race on the Strip, transforming one of the world’s busiest tourist corridors into a high-speed motorsport venue. City officials have not yet released final economic impact projections, but last year’s event generated more than $1 billion in estimated activity across Southern Nevada.

Local agencies urged residents and visitors to continue monitoring RTC alerts, hotel advisories and real-time traffic maps throughout race week.


Author

  • Marcus Vega

    Marcus Vega covers the fast-growing Las Vegas sports landscape, from pro franchises to college athletics and prep standouts. He fuses box score analysis with behind-the-scenes reporting, capturing the energy of game day and the strategy in between. Marcus aims to bring fans closer to the teams, players, and moments that define the city’s sports identity.

    Where passion meets the game—Marcus Vega, Sports.

    View all posts
Exit mobile version